Council has overall responsibility for everything that the British Pharmacological Society does, giving strategic direction, and determining and safeguarding the mission and vision. It ensures the Society is compliant with its own Articles of Association, Rules, relevant laws and the requirements placed upon it by its funders and other bodies.
Council chooses to delegate responsibility to Committees, Sub-committees and groups, in accordance with the following structure:
- Clinical Committee advises on matters relating to promoting and advancing clinical pharmacology, particularly the clinical speciality.
- Education & Training Committee recommends policies and strategies related to the support of education and training for pharmacologists.
- Finance Committee proposes, monitors and reviews financial strategy and budget control.
- Meetings Committee organizes and delivers high-quality scientific meetings.
- Membership Committee advises on all membership matters and assesses nominations for Society awards & prizes.
- Policy & Public Engagement Committee ensures that appropriate opportunities are taken to promote and advance pharmacology with the public and policy makers.
- Publications Committee advises Council on all matters related to the publications strategy and to oversee operations.
- Advisory Groups have been established to represent the interests and views of members in clearly defined groups.
Further information about the role and membership of each Committee and Advisory Group is available to members of the Society from the Committee Directory (sign in required).
In addition, Affinity Groups (sign in required) were launched to encourage networking and discussion between members.